Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Here Lies Smudge


She was a good rabbit. Mischevious, as they will be, always wanting in to Dad's garden to eat the flowers there. Though she suffered the loss of her dearest friend and companion a year earlier, she carried on, steadily chewing through the garden grass, eagerly consuming leaves from the grapevine whenever anyone would drop her a branch. She tolerated, though only just, a season with chickens invading half her territory. Always she provided amusement to those of us in the house. At breakfast, there she was out the window. At lunch, she was there hopping about. And at dinner she made for an entertaining visual ornament.

In recent weeks we'd rekindled our relationship from long ago. I spent time learning her wants and needs, teaching her that she could trust me to give her grape leaves or parsley if she, in turn, would stand to let me pet her for a few moments.

Thank you, little bunny, for being a sweet pet.

5 comments:

  1. Meadow I SUCK. I literally thought, this morning, "Meadow hasn't blogged in a while. What's up with that?" I don't get xanga at work, so I couldn't check. I just checked tonight. And I forgot you had moved! (So many of my friends moved right around the time you did.) Also, when you first moved, I came over here, but the site was so new the RSS feed hadn't propagated, so I couldn't subscribe to it at the time. I'm subscribing now. I will now be alerted of your updates. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (And I like how my long apology came on probably the worst possible post. Me = awkward.)

    No, but really, I had two dogs growing up. I STILL miss them. The youngest one died like 6 years ago. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah no worries Jaimie! I'm pretty well over it. The good thing about Smudge was that she was fun to look at, but she was sort of just a glorified lawn ornament.

    Glad you're subscribed and can be properly alerted of my new amazing posts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bye Smudge : (

    Any chance you'll get another bunny?

    ReplyDelete