Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day One with Students

I taught my first class today.

I had everything I was going to say and do all scripted out and ready to go, but then I took copious notes of what my master teacher did in first period (she is also teaching French 2) and I tried to copy what she did as exactly as possible.

There will come a day for creativity and originality. That day may not come this year. Instead, I will continue to do what I did today. Take copious notes and repeat what I have seen to the letter. Maybe at some point I will be able to infuse my teaching style with a bit of my own flare, but also maybe not.

The good news is, I made it through day one. The bad news is I haven't done any teaching, only telling so far. That's how first days go by their nature, you have to get all the housekeeping things out of the way first, but it means that I still feel some trepidation about the coming weeks.

Last night, blessedly, I slept from 10:30 to 5:30 without waking up or tossing and turning. Thank you, God! I haven't lost sleep over teaching yet. I'd like to keep things that way. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment