Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A shock

I have been thirsty for a week. For a week no matter how much or what I drank, I felt thirsty. I would drink a ton, and immediately after I would still feel thirsty.

Last night I mentioned this to my parents, and my mom said, "that's a symptom of diabetes." My dad, who has type 1 diabetes, got his glucose monitor to check my blood sugar to reassure me that all was fine.

387.

A normal human's blood sugar is 100.

We went to the emergency room, I peed in a cup, they gave me 3 saline drips. They told me I was a diabetic.

I have a late-onset of type 1 juvenile diabetes. My pancreas is killing itself. I've given myself 3 insulin shots already, and pricked my finger to test my blood about 15 times. This is day one.

I'm sad, and frustrated, but I won't stay that way. Pretty soon I'll get used to this new part of my life.

 Last night before we went to the hospital my parents and Dean prayed for me. While they were praying I felt God asking me, "will you trust me?"and I said yes. There is no choice but to trust God. We live by grace, all of us. And now I have a daily, vital reminder of that fact.

5 comments:

  1. I'm crying for you, hon. I'm so sorry this had to happen. You can do it though. You are such a strong, disciplined, determined, happy person. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more thoughts: I want to give you a hug and thank God your mom mentioned diabetes or you might have had some bad breakdown. I guess that's what moms are for, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Meadow -- a shock for sure. I, like Jaimie, am SO GLAD and thankful that your mom recognized the symptom, and your dad had the equipment available to test your glucose.

    I'm so sorry you're having to go through this at such a busy and eventful time, but you are SO strong, and so surrounded by support and love, that I have no doubt in your ability to learn this new part of your life and march on.

    I love you, Meadow, and I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meadow dear Meadow, you are a strong woman with a HUGE support system around you. Without a doubt, this is not a good time for this to be happening, but also without a doubt, you are LOVED by God and by many, many people. I know that you can do this and you will come out an even stronger woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending good thoughts your way. Call me for anything. Hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete