Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 3

I'll stop counting days pretty soon. But today I opened my eyes again, grateful for another day, glad to see the sunshine, aware that I am alive because God has made it possible.

My fingers hurt. A couple of them are kind of bruised from all the pricking and squeezing trying to get them to give a big enough blood drop to measure my glucose. But I know already that it works the best when my hands are warm. It's unfortunate because my hands are pretty much always cold. I've been running a lot of hot water at home. And do you know how great God is? Let me tell you. At the apartment complex to which Dean and I are moving, they pay for hot water because they heat the water on a boiler system. So I can run as much hot water as I like and not have to worry about extra costs.


I have a bit of a headache still. I'm calling my nurse today to see what she thinks. I'm probably just not drinking enough, but it's hard to say.

I am blessed, friends. I have been overwhelmed by the love of everyone that has poured out at this time. Even in my home, we all say "I love you" a lot more than we did before, like we've been reminded that every day we have fewer chances to say that to one another. And yet we have this hope that is an anchor for our souls, firm and secure. That verse came to my mind the first night as I was getting ready for bed, and it has come back to me again and again. It comes from the end of Hebrews 6 where it talks about the oath God made to prove himself to people who swear by things greater than themselves (we as humans "swear to God"). The verses say that God, who cannot lie (and thus does not need to make oaths) made an oath by giving his Son for us, and that is the hope that is the anchor for our souls.

Do you know Jesus? Is he the anchor of your soul? Do you feel the hope that he is? It's a hope that is bigger than having a bad day here and there. The hope he gives is more overarching than hoping for rain in the midst of a drought or hoping to find an extra 5 bucks in your coat pocket. It's a hope that holds, firm and secure, in the midst of a storm of trials and a flurry of blessings. It's the hope that he has promised to make all things right, to bring Heaven to Earth and undo the hurt and pain, the sickness of broken pancreases and broken hearts, the hunger and thirst, the evil and darkness, to banish all of those forever and to only ever have worship and beauty and art and delight forever. That is one heaven of an anchor!

No comments:

Post a Comment