Friday, December 31, 2010

A look back on 2010

January- Made the resolution not to buy clothes for a year. I was still applying for jobs in the film industry. I sent out 17 resumes and cover letters that month. Jeremy and Sara were home from Congo and I was home not really sure what I was going to do with myself. I went to the gym 3-5 times a week and took yoga and pilates classes. I took the CSET for French in preparation for potentially doing a credential program. Things were still new with this fellow Dean, but we were looking forward to meeting at the end of the month in LA. On June 24th we met at the Getty and went on dates every day for the rest of the month.


February- I decided I liked Dean more than I had let myself think. Had a tumultuous few weeks trying to sort things about us out. Worked up at the camp for two weeks. Babysat my niece and nephew. Had coffee and counsel with friends. Decided I wanted to do the teaching credential program because why would I want to move far away from my family and do work that few would thank me for and only see my niece and nephew a few times a year and not have them know me? Filled out applications, met with professors. Went to the gym. Hung around.

March- Babysat a bit. My niece turned 1. Helped put together the first eighteen24 Finer Things event that was quite a success. Had a skype dinner date with Dean among other non-dinner skype dates and phone calls. Ran out of money. Quit the gym. Started walking with my friend and her dog in the mornings.

April- Went on a Servantship retreat to Amador County and spent two days talking about God and life and relationships with other brothers and sisters. Interviewed for the teaching program at Sac State. Had breakfast with my grandparents every other Friday. Met Dean at the airport for a 2-hour layover. Took him to In-n-Out and won his heart still further. Drove down to SLO to see Brita. Got a ticket. Continued on to LA and met Dean for a long weekend while he was there on work. We went to the beach, dressed up and went to a fancy dinner and a concert at Walt Disney Concert Hall. A week later, picked Dean up at the airport and brought him home to meet the parents. Had the first of many game nights at Gabe and Sarah's together.

May- Dean took me on a hike in Point Reyes and asked me to be his girlfriend. I agreed enthusiastically. I dropped him off in San Fran for work and went home and waited for 4 days until I could pick him up and bring him home again. We saw Iron Man II together. I threw Dean a birthday party and made him a cookies and cream ice cream cake with cream cheese frosting, per his request. Only barely missed overwhelming him with Brown-family birthday fun. Spent the rest of the month missing Dean, waiting to hear back from the credential program, and waiting for June when I could fly out to meet Dean and his family.

June- Got into the teaching credential program. Flew to DC and to Dean. Spent several days in Pennsylvania with his family, and several days in Washington DC. Returned home and went on the high school houseboat trip at church. Flipped many flapjacks. Hauled many buckets of water. Had a lot of fun working with friends. Babysat. Began planning my birthday party.

July- Babysat the kiddos. Planned my birthday party and waited impatiently for Dean to show up the day before. Had a blast of a weekend with him and my family. Had a lovely birthday party. Went to traffic school for my April ticket. Hiked Mount Talac with some friends. Achievement unlocked!

August- Served at a friend's wedding helping the caterer. Got a job from it. Got my placement for teaching at Oakmont High School. Attended Willow Creek's Leadership Summit. Began student teaching. Started classes at Sac State. Tried to cope with getting up at 5:30 every morning. Went to bed at 9:30 each night. Talked with Dean about him sending resumes out around town. Prayed together about it.

September- Flew out to Pennsylvania and attended a Penn State game with Dean. Spent every waking moment together until I had to fly home. Waited excitedly to hear the results of several interviews he had with a company here. Rejoiced when he got the job. Hosted a baby shower for my brother and sil's little girl. Catered an event. Made a paper chain to count down the days for Dean's arrival.

October- Made it through the first quarter of student teaching. Attended a baby shower for a friend and a birthday party for another friend. Proctored a PSAT exam to make $100. DEAN MOVED TO SACRAMENTO. Was blissfully happy. Saw my name in lights at the premier of Darkening Sky at the Hollywood Film Festival. Celebrated the birthday of my grandfather, brother and new baby niece all on the same day.

November- Dean asked me to be his wife. I said YES! Celebrated all the things there are to be thankful for in this life. Found a wedding venue, photographer, videographer, and my dress!!

December- I finished school work and teaching and spent 2 whole weeks luxuriating in the freedom that is Christmas break. Why don't they have these more often? Played many rounds of Nertz, Halo Reach and bouncing baby on a ball to calm her down.

It has been an incredible year. I am so thankful for the incredibly unexpected ways God has richly blessed my life and I look forward to the adventures and challenges that 2011 will bring.

God is good all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment