Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hard to Believe

Yesterday I was trying to study before class in a study lounge on campus. Two people next to me, a guy and a girl, started talking, in no quiet voices, about their exploits with drugs.

"Pinky swear you won't tell?" asked the girl, "I tried heroine for the first time last weekend." And then they proceeded to trade stories about the trips they'd been on, and all the stupid things they had heard they had done. Heard they had done because they couldn't actually remember for themselves. They talked about what good prices they'd gotten on their drugs, how many hits they'd get from the amounts.

I tried to ignore it for a while, but it was too distracting, the blatancy of the evil they were committing against themselves. So finally I turned to them and said, "I feel like this isn't a conversation you want to be having in a very public place. I mean, seriously? Do you hear yourselves? What are you thinking? What are you doing with your lives? This is what you think is a good time? Acting like idiots, poisoning your bodies, blacking out so you can't remember the things you are doing?" The girl giggled uncontrollably. They guy tried the "agree that it's bad, nod head remorsefully, admit he'd tried to quit, laugh about how he couldn't" tact to get me to go away.

I was so frustrated at what a waste they were making of themselves I could barely think. It was like talking to a wall, how deaf they were, how unaware of their peril they were. Had I ever been on a high? the guy wanted to know. No, I don't need drugs, I don't need to poison myself to have a good time. I have relationships and hobbies and healthy interests that I fill my life with.

In the end only one verse came to mind and so I quoted it to them. Proverbs 14:12-

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

No comments:

Post a Comment