This year I decided I only wanted to wrap my Christmas gifts in paper that was in some way related to the true meaning of Christmas. I had 3 patterns I purchased last year, one of a the Wisemen making their way to see Jesus, one of angels, one of the lyrics to "O Holy Night," but I wrapped all my gifts in those last year, and I was interested in a new pattern.
I thought, what with living in a capitalist country that has a strong evangelical Christian center, that retailers would know many people celebrate Christmas because of Jesus and not Santa and would make a few paper patterns accordingly, but I was so wrong! Target had nothing related to Christ's birth. The closest it came was the word "Peace" printed on a paper with a bunch of other Christmas sayings. They had 4 different Hannukah patterns, but none for a Christ-centered Christmas. Barnes and Noble, JoAnn Fabrics, Lowes, Toys R Us, Cost Plus, Michael's, TJ Maxx, Family Christian Store (bags, but no paper), 99 cent Store, Dollar Tree, WalMart. None of them had real Christmas paper, but all of them (except FCS) had Santa, reindeer and elves to spare. Almost all of them had a print with owls. Christmas owls! but no Jesus. I mean, I get that I am not the majority. I get that not everyone wants Jesus on their Christmas presents, but aren't there enough people who love Jesus in America to warrant a single pattern from a few of the stores?
Finally I went to Hobby Lobby recalling that they have quite a bit of "Christian Junk" as my brother would call it. They had 4 beautiful patterns with scenes of the Christmas story, verses from Isaiah and Luke or Christmas carols printed on them. I bought 3 of them. I sent the company a thank-you letter because I was glad that they had it, and someone replied to me:
Hello Meadow,
Thank you for shopping at Hobby Lobby. We strive to live our lives and operate our business by Biblical principles and your support and encouragement are appreciated.
We have enjoyed God's grace and blessing, and we look forward to serving Him and serving you in the future!
I'm sold. They have my business for as long as they're around. Anyone else could have had it too, if they had been smart enough to know their market.
Yeah, Hobby Lobby has been in the news a ton lately because of their health care decisions. No further comment. :P
ReplyDelete