I just found out I lost my job for next year. Well, it
wasn’t “mine,” exactly. But I was believing in faith that I would be back,
because I want to be back. But now it looks like it won’t work out.
I feel disappointed. A teacher wants to build a program of
study, to get better every year, to try new things but within the same
framework. Now I need to pass my CSET for English a lot, so I can be fully
qualified to teach it. They’re holding English positions back, trying to keep
an opening available, possibly for me. It’s too bad they don’t really have a
choice who the hire within the district. I hope whoever it is is actually
qualified to teach French and not just messing around. This is an example of
how schools should be run like a business. As it stands, the best person for
the job is not always the person who gets the job. In school districts, how
long you have been teaching matters more than how well you teach. Regardless of
how well or how poorly my replacement teaches, the school must take her for the
position. It’s what the union declares! Thanks a lot, union. On the other hand,
I don’t blame her. She’s at one of the worst schools in the district, and this
job opens up at one of the best schools in the district. She probably can’t
believe her good luck. I can’t, either.
On the bright side, I know how I can spend my next few days.
Slowly taking things off the walls, getting boxes to transport all my files
home in. I’ll pack up my whiteboards, completely clean off the walls.
In the meantime, I am reminded that God is good, all the
time. Even when my plan turns out to be different than his. I can walk
confidently and trust my shepherd’s plans.
I'm so sorry, Meadow. I was laid off before and I know how much of a shock it is.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jaimie! It's a shock indeed. After I'm done being angry and petty it'll probably turn out to be alright. :-)
Delete