Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sick

I learned a new word this week. In French, an ear infection is called une otite. I have one of those. I also have une laryngite, laryngitis. Super fun! I taught Monday before I made it to the doctor in the afternoon. I waited 30 minutes for the doctor to come in and look in my ear and say, "yes it's infected, any allergies to medicine? I'm prescribing you Amoxicilin." And another 45 minutes to wait for the pharmacy to fill the prescription. I corrected French 1 papers while I waited. A woman sitting next to me cooed, "Oh my, that's dedication! You feel awful and you're still sitting here grading papers." How gratifying.

Yesterday I didn't teach. I started to, but then I had a coughing fit, that dry-throat-coughing, can't-breathe, tears-streaming-down-your-face kind and my cooperating teacher had pity on me and said, "you should go home, I'll take care of it, it's not a problem" and off I skipped, to home and a 3 hour nap that felt delicious and a bit guilty at the same time.

It's hard to enjoy sick days when you're an adult. When you're a kid being sick is like summer vacation come early, granted with a temperature and an hourly hang over the throw-up bowl. But being sick when you're an adult feels like shirking responsibilities that you ought to be carrying out. It feels lazy and stressed like you have to get better quick so you can get back to stressing about your regularly scheduled stressful things. All the same, I finished a for-fun book that I got from the library last week and I worked on the pillow for my adorable ring bearer for the wedding. It's so cute I might sell it once D and I are wed! Or at least make more and sell those. For when I open my Etsy store sometime.

Other than those things, life is going great. I'm doing pretty well with my two classes, D and I are putting some serious hours into working through some pre-marital books, and school has started so that means it will also end in 16 beautiful weeks.

God is good all the time. I am blessed beyond measure, and loved more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment