Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolution

I've made a new year's resolution after all. I didn't think I would this year, but then it came to me.

I'm the kind of person who does well when there are 'perks' to be had or incentives to be attained. For example, I got a lot of self-satisfaction (pride? hopefully not too much of the self-righteous kind that smells like smoke) from completing last year's resolution not to buy clothes for a year. It's why I sang in the the school choir again in the 8th grade, because I knew there was the end of the year award ceremony at school, and choir was the only award I thought I had a chance of getting. I totally earned that fake marble plaque too. I'm not sure I still have it though.

So this year's resolution is partly to get me into the habit of doing something I should already be in the habit of doing. It's also to prepare me to be a good roommate/wife in (LESS THAN!) six months. My new year's resolution is to put my clothes away when I take them off.

I know this might sound kind of silly. And I can't really blame you for laughing at me a little bit. But calling this my new year's resolution is just the right kind of bar-raising I need to make this idea go from "good intention" to "actual habit." People, it takes way longer to get ready or change clothes when you have to put the former clothes away or sort them into the laundry. But the room stays cleaner. Amazing!

Maybe I'll keep the clothing-related years' resolutions up. Any suggestions for next year?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm OCD clean so I already do this. I find it takes less time than it does to clean a messy room. (Or so it seems.)

    ReplyDelete