This is the story of how I got engaged dressed as an elf:
Dean is a fan of role playing, like, dungeons and dragons kind of stuff. I have read several books he has given me/recommended to me on the subject but have not ever 'thrown dice' as they say. So for two weeks or so now he has been talking about how he really wants to role play and it's time that I have my first foray into the realm of adventure. So we agreed to do it on Saturday.
To set the mood for our medieval world Dean told me he was preparing a feast of a whole roasted chicken and potatoes and carrots etc. I thought that I would one-up him/dive into the spirit of things and dress in costume to show my support for one of his favorite pastimes. After I set the table with china and silver and lit the candelabra (one must have a candelabra to feel medieval, don't you think?) and while he was completing the finishing touches on the sauce I scurried upstairs and changed into a costume that my mom and I made when I was in high school of a Lord of the Rings style elf. Dean was surprised by my costume but seemed more bemused than anything.
We ate dinner together which was fantastic. The man knows how to cook! Then, after we'd cleared the dishes Dean brought out the character sheets which is where you invent the character that you will play in the game. In order to create the character you have to roll dice to get your player stats, so Dean explained to me the first thing I had to do and then gave me the bag of dice that I had picked out with him the week before. I made a big show of untying the strings and starting to shake the dice out but my pretend awe turned to genuine amazement when out fell a sparkly diamond ring.
My mouth agape, Dean took my hand and knelt down beside me and said lovely things I can't quite recall about how he loved me, how God had brought us together, how he wanted to spend his life with me, and then he asked me if I would be his wife. I said yes!
And that is how I got engaged dressed as an elf. I have yet to throw dice, but we may just finish my character next weekend.
Nice! Congrats to you both! You look beautiful in that 2nd picture.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, you two! I just happened to check your blog today and I'm so glad I did. Can't wait to see you on Friday and hear all about your wonderful engagement!
ReplyDelete