Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Surprises

I had my first observation by my supervising professor yesterday. My professor believes in the element of surprise, so we don't get a warning when she's coming (supposedly this is so that we won't have prepared something whiz-bang for the day that she comes, as opposed to the drudgery we perform when she is not present). I didn't feel super good about how things were going since we only learned 3 verbs and did 3 practice exercises with them which is kind of boring. But she had a lot of positive things to say, a surprising amount I thought, considering that I thought the lesson was dull. Praise God!

And she agreed that I could stay at the high school for the whole year instead of switching to a different school where I might not have the same resources like having a native speaker master teacher. So that is great!

Today I am completing an observation for my anthropology class that was due yesterday...I got a little behind this weekend. Because my incredible boyfriend moved across the country and arrived last week.

First he surprised me by showing up at my house a day early. There we were, talking on the phone as he got into Reno. He had been driving all day, 950 miles, and he was pretty tired, his car had been overheating so he'd lost a few hours in the afternoon. So he tells me he's arriving at the hotel, and hey! that's funny, there's a doorbell on the door...and then MY doorbell rings!! Because his car had not overheated and he had arrived in Reno at 6:30 and he had decided to drive the 150 miles more to my house and surprise me. Good surprise!

And then the next morning I was teaching my class, we were doing listening activities with the CD player and all of a sudden Dean is outside the door, flowers in hand, and he came into the class and I turned bright red and my students all laughed and I didn't know what to do and I was shaking because I was nervous and surprised, and it was pretty hilarious. And awesome. Good surprise.

And last night I got home from school at 7:45 and then Dean shows up, bag of groceries in hand, and whips up a delicious fajita dinner just like that. Amazing. Good surprise.

I am blessed, big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment